An article by Katherine Koster, Communication Director from Sex Workers Outreach Project with a few tips to the media about how to ethically report on sex work:
- Stop publishing the mugshots, full names and addresses of people arrested for prostitution.
- Check your source’s stats and research!
- Ask questions, especially about race, class and collateral damage.
- Use multiple sources, and don’t omit relevant information and/or counterpoints.
- Quote people involved in the sex trade, and publish letters and op-eds by current and former sex workers.
- STOP mis-gendering sex workers, and stop relying on racist and sexist stereotypes.
You can find the full text of the article >>HERE.